The NISIS training programme offers educational activities, and thereby contributes to the successful completion of individual research master programmes or dissertation projects in the domain of the study of Islam and Muslim societies.
Aims of the NISIS training programme
- Enlarging and deepening already existing knowledge of Islam and Muslim societies;
- Providing insight and stimulating participation in the current academic debate;
- Encouraging students to write and present projects throughout their PhD and research master trajectory;
- Introducing students to an international network of scholars in the field;
- Creating an academic community in which research in the field of Islam and Muslim societies can be optimally pursued;
- Mediating between a new generation of researchers and innovative disciplinary and interdisciplinary developments, theoretical and methodological initiatives and explorations in the field.
The NISIS training programme offers NISIS PhD candidates and research master students the opportunity to obtain at least 12 EC a year. The training programme consists of:
- NISIS Spring School (5 EC)
- NISIS Autumn School (5 EC)
- Additional courses, workshops and writing clinics (1 EC or more)
- Tailor-made training: For research master students who are required, according to their official study programme, to obtain 10 EC in one semester, NISIS offers the opportunity, to write an extra paper (up to 4 EC) on a subject related to the study of Islam and Muslim Societies. This oppertunity is only available for research master students who need 10 EC in one semester according to their official study programme and in combination with all other NISIS courses (6 EC) on offer in that semester. Please contact email@example.com.
In order to obtain credits for participation in the activities of the NISIS training programme, PhD candidates and research master students will be evaluated under the authority of the NISIS board. The criteria listed in the course descriptions form the basis for these evaluations.
PhD candidates who obtain 15 EC within the framework of the NISIS training programme are eligible to receive the NISIS Research Certificate. The basic requirements to receive this certificate are the EC gained by participating in at least two seasonal schools and one workshop or writing clinic. If PhD candidates are interested in developing a tailored training programme in order to receive the NISIS Research Certificate, they are encouraged to seek contact with the NISIS director. All PhD candidates are welcome to continue participating in the NISIS training programme after obtaining the NISIS Research Certificate.
PhD candidates who cannot or do not want to become a member of NISIS or another national research school are welcome to participate in individual NISIS courses and activities. They will pay € 50 for each EC they obtain. NISIS will send an invoice to the PhD candidate. NISIS members will have priority in case there are too many registrations for an activity.
Research master students
Research master students may obtain credits (EC) for their participation in the NISIS Training Programme. After successful completion of the course requirements, NISIS issues a certificate indicating the student’s participation in the NISIS training course as well as the course load in EC.
EC earned in the NISIS Training Programme may be included in individual research master study programmes by submitting NISIS certificates to the research master’s administration. The possibility to include EC earned in the NISIS Training Programme in individual study programmes is guaranteed for students enrolled in the partner faculties of NISIS in the Netherlands and Belgium.
Students from other faculties and students not enrolled at a one of the NISIS partner universities need to consult their student counsellor about the possibility to include EC earned in the NISIS Training Programme in their individual study programmes. Please note that formal recognition of EC obtained in the NISIS Training Programme falls under the responsibility of the examination board of the respective study programme.