The NISIS training programme offers educational activities, and thereby contributes to successful completion of individual research master programmes or dissertation projects in the domain of the study of Islam and Muslim societies.
Aims of the NISIS training programme
- Enlarging and deepening already existing knowledge of Islam and Muslim societies;
- Providing insight and stimulating participation in the current academic debate;
- Encouraging students to write about and present projects throughout their PhD and research master trajectory;
- Introducing students to an international network of scholars in the field;
- Creating an academic community in which research in the field of Islam and Muslim societies can be optimally pursued;
- Mediating between a new generation of researchers and innovative disciplinary and interdisciplinary developments, theoretical and methodological initiatives and explorations in the field.
The NISIS Training Programme offers NISIS PhD candidates and research master students the opportunity to obtain at least 12 EC a year. The Training Programme consists of:
- NISIS Spring School (5 EC)
- NISIS Autumn School (5 EC)
- NISIS Islamic Studies Network Day (1 EC)
- Additional courses, workshops and seminars (from 1 EC)
- Tailor-made training: For research master students who are required, according to their official study programme, to obtain 10 EC in one semester, NISIS offers the opportunity, to write an extra paper (up to 4 EC) on a subject related to the study of Islam and Muslim Societies. This oppertunity is only available for research master students who need 10 EC in one semester according to their official study programme and in combination with all other NISIS courses (6 EC) on offer in that semester. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order to obtain credits for participation in the activities of the NISIS Training Programme, PhD candidates and research master students will be evaluated under the authority of the NISIS board. The distinctive criteria listed in the course descriptions form the basis for these evaluations.
PhD candidates who obtain 15 EC within the framework of the NISIS Training Programme are eligible to receive the NISIS Research Certificate. Additional requirements to receive this certificate are: the EC are gained by participating in at least two Seasonal Schools and one NISIS Islamic Studies Network Day. All PhD candidates are welcome to continue participating in the NISIS Training Programme after obtaining the NISIS Research Certificate.
PhD candidates who wish to shape their training programme in a different way, may in principle do so, but should consult their supervisor beforehand and get his/her consent. The PhD candidate should hand in a tailored training programme to the NISIS administration together with written approval from their supervisor. The NISIS examination board will then decide on the compatibility of the individual programme with the NISIS Research Certificate.
PhD candidates, who cannot or do not want to become a member of NISIS are welcome to participate in individual NISIS courses and activities. NISIS members will have priority in case there are too many registrations for an activity. They will pay € 50 for obtaining each EC they obtain. NISIS will send an invoice to the PhD candidate.
Research master students
Research master students may obtain credits (EC) for their participation in the NISIS Training Programme. After successful completion of the course requirements, NISIS issues an official certificate indicating the student’s participation in the NISIS training course as well as the course load in EC.
EC earned in the NISIS Training Programme may be included in individual research master study programmes by submitting NISIS certificates to the research master’s administration. The possibility to include EC earned in the NISIS Training Programme in individual study programmes is guaranteed for students enrolled in the faculties of Humanities throughout the Netherlands.
Students from other faculties at Dutch universities and students not enrolled at a university in the Netherlands need to consult their student counsellor about the possibility to include EC earned in the NISIS Training Programme in their individual study programmes. Please note that formal recognition of EC obtained in the NISIS Training Programme falls under the responsibility of the examination board of the respective study programme.
Additional training activities
In addition to the regular NISIS training activities (the annual Autumn and Spring Schools, the annual NISIS Islamic Studies Network Day NISIS can facilitate in the organisation of additional training activities, run by NISIS members. These activities may take several forms: one-day events (symposiums, workshops) or long-term activities (lecture series, theme groups).
Junior as well as senior NISIS members may apply for NISIS recognition and support for an additional training activity run by themselves. Applications have to be submitted to the NISIS board before the 1st of March of each year in order to become part of the NISIS curriculum of the following academic year. The NISIS examination and education committee reviews and awards the applications.
Please read about the criteria for the organisation of additional activities in this document.